What to Expect-Month 9 of Pregnancy
In month 9 of pregnancy, the countdown to baby’s birth-date begins! You may be tired one minute and energetic the next, as you anxiously wait for baby’s arrival.
CHANGES YOU MAY EXPERIENCE
- You may breathe a little easier as baby settles into the pelvis, giving you more room in the abdominal area. This is known as lightening.
- Sleep will become more difficult due to your size and any anxiety you may feel about the upcoming birth.
- Some women experience a “nesting instinct” and feel compelled to ready the home for baby’s arrival.
- Your weight gain will be as high as it will go – up to 35 pounds is average.
HOW YOUR BABY IS DEVELOPING Baby’s lungs are maturing, and he or she is shedding the layer of hair that protected him or her in the uterus. Your baby’s brain is growing tremendously this last month. Baby measures about 18 to 21 inches long and weighs about six to eight pounds.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR PRENATAL VISIT THIS MONTH
- All monitoring will continue. You will also receive an internal examination to determine if the cervix has ripened or started to dilate.
- Your doctor may swab your vagina and rectum to test for group b strep.
You will visit your doctor weekly for monitoring at this point. Visits may increase if you pass your due date.