The Incredible Edible Raspberry
Don’t you just love fresh raspberries? There is a burst of flavor and nutrition in every mouth popping treat. Whether you purchase them in the markets, or grow them yourself, they are packed with antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Raspberry Health Benefits
Raspberries not only taste delicious, but they are good for you! Here is a short list of just what this fantastic little fruit can do for you and your family!
- Boosts your Immune System
- They are rich in anti-oxidants
- Rich in Vitamin A
- Normalizes the blood sugar
- Burns fat!
- Increases red blood cells
- Maintains a healthy heart
- Helps with anti-aging
- Prevents Cancer
Raspberry Fun Facts
- Raspberries can be red, purple, gold or black in color. Golden berries are thesweetest.
- The difference between raspberries and blackberries is that raspberries have a hollow core in the middle while blackberries do not
- In the US almost 90% of all raspberries sold come from Washington, California and Oregon. In Canada, the province of British Colombia produces about 80% of all raspberries sold in Canada.
- When picking raspberries, look for berries that are firm and dark in color. They should not be soft or mushy. Gently pull on the berry; if it does not come off easily then leave it on the bush, as the berry is not ripe enough yet.
- Once raspberries have been picked, they won’t ripen any further.
- Raspberries are high in trace mineral, manganese which helps body convert protein and fat to energy
- You can grow raspberries right at home, the root system of raspberries is perennial, but each shoot is biennial, and survives for 2 years, (producing the fruit in the second year).
- One cup of raspberries has 60.28 calories…that is great raspberry fact for those who are “counting calories”
- Raspberries are high in fiber. One cup of raspberries provides 8.34 g of dietary fiber.
- Raspberries are a leading source of “elegiac acid”, which helps protect the body from cancer.
- Raspberries rank in the top 10 antioxidant-high fruits and vegetables! Antioxidants are believed to help prevent and repair oxidative stress, a process that damages body cells and has been linked to the development of diseases such as cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
Try this Delicious and Healthy Raspberry Smoothie: