A new study out of Australia suggests that grandparents who look after their grand-kids at least once a week could be less likely to develop Alzheimer’s. Beyond adding joy to grandparent’s lives babysitting grandchildren has now been shown to increase cognitive functions and reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s according to a new study published by the journal of the North American Menopause Society. The study which followed 120 grandparents in Australia found grandmothers who babysat one day per week scored higher on a range of cognitive tests. One caveat, filed under “everything in moderation” found that grandmother’s that babysat five or more days per week performed lower on cognitive tests.
10 Fun Activities To Do With Grandchildren
The age gap between grandchild and grandparent does not have to be a barrier to having fun and spending time with each other. Here are some fun activities for all to do together:
- Go to a local farmers market and make a pie with your fresh fruit.
- Take a trip to the local zoo.
- Go on a nature walk.
- Teach your grandchild one of your favorite hobbies (woodworking, crocheting, etc.).
- Camp in your own backyard.
- Play a card game.
- Start a book club.
- Bring out the good china and have a tea party.
- Start a journal where you write letters to each other.
- Create a family tree together.