Childhood Obesity Awareness
September is childhood obesity awareness month!
Involve Your Community!
Childhood obesity isn’t limited to one state or town. It’s a nationwide concern. Let’s bring Childhood Obesity Awareness Month into all of our communities. Over 30 percent of America’s children are overweight or obese, threatening an entire generation with serious chronic illnesses and shortened life spans.
Did you know?
- More than 23 million children and teenagers in the United States ages 2 to 19 are obese or overweight.
- This epidemic puts nearly one third of America’s children at early risk for Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and even stroke –conditions usually associated with adulthood.
- Obesity disproportionately affects children of varied racial & ethnic groups with disabilities.
- Even greater disparities exist among young Hispanics and children of color.
- September 2010 was the first-ever Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, calling national attention and action to this epidemic.
What can you do?
During National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month find programs and activities to help prevent childhood obesity, promote healthy eating and physical activity, and increase awareness of childhood obesity among individuals of all ages and walks of life.
This isn’t something we should just do during the month of September, but it is a great time to start! Please help spread a healthy awareness to America’s youth!