What to do when you only have 10 minutes to work out? Or five? This quick three-move circuit below is a simple go-to routine for when you don’t have time to complete your regularly scheduled workout. While planning ahead is great, having a fitness plan B is important for when you’ve slept through your alarm or have meetings run late. Life happens, but doing even just a little bit of activity is better than doing nothing.
The moves below target your core, butt, and arms, and will get your heart pumping, too.
The workout: Do 10-15 reps of each move. Repeat the mini circuit two to three times for a standalone workout.
1. Weighted Twists — 10-15 reps
This move is all about those abs, particularly the obliques (the muscles that run along the sides of your waist).
- Hold the a dumbbell (start with five to eight pounds) in both hands at your chest and sit with knees bent, feet together, and heels on the floor.
- Now twist your torso to the left then to the right.
- Do 10-15 reps.
2. Squat Thrusts — 10-15 reps
This total-body move is a great way to add some cardio to your day. For a strength challenge add a push-up while in the plank position.
- Start standing tall.
- Bend over and place both hands on the ground.
- Jump feet back so that you’re in a high plank position.
- Jump feet back in and jump up in the air reaching your hands high.
- Do 10-15 reps.
3. Step Ups — 10-15 reps
This exercise will raise your heart rate and work your lower body. Be sure to place your entire foot on the bench and for more of a challenge use a higher box or bench.
- Stand behind an exercise box or bench and place your entire left foot on the bench.
- Shift weight onto left foot and stand up bringing your right foot to meet your left. Drive through your left heel to help activate your glute muscles.
- Now step down with the left then right foot so that you’re back on the ground. This is one rep.
- Do 10-15 reps. Then repeat with the right foot leading.