Amazing Facts About Strawberries!
There’s nothing like spotting the first sweet ripe strawberries of the season at your local farmer’s market or grocery store! Do you or your little one love strawberries? Good! Feel free to gobble them up! Here are some fun and interesting facts about the delicious and nutritious strawberry!
- Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside. The average strawberry is adorned with some 200 of them. No wonder it only takes one bite to get seeds stuck in your teeth!
- Strawberries aren’t true berries, like blueberries or even grapes. Technically, a berry has its seeds on the inside and each seed on a strawberry is considered by botanists to be its own separate fruit! Now that’s cool!
- Strawberries are members of the rose family. Should you come upon a bush of them growing, you’ll smell them right away.
- The strawberry plant is a perennial. So if you plant one now, it will come back next year and the following and the year after that. It may not bear fruit immediately, but once it does, it will remain productive for about five years!
- Belgium has a museum dedicated to strawberries. In the gift shop at Le Musée de la Fraise (The Strawberry Museum), you can buy everything from strawberry jam to strawberry beer, interesting……
- California produces some 80% of the strawberries in the U.S. They grow about 2 billion pounds of the heart-shaped fruits per year. Every state in the U.S. and every province in Canada grows their own.
- Helps whiten your teeth. The acids in strawberries help remove teeth stains. They remove tartar and strengthen and help heal the gums!
- Strawberries contain folate. Folate helps keeps your blood healthy, and helps you from getting anemia. It has also been found to prevent cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and hearing loss as you age. Let’s hear it for the mighty strawberry!
- High in Omega-3s. Strawberries contain omega-3s and omega-3s help regulate high blood pressure, blood clotting, inflammation, and allergic responses, and are critical for proper brain function.
- Prevents osteoporosis. Strawberries contain Vitamin K, a mineral that most of us are deficient in.